Successful 3D Printing results are owed in a large part to good input – good design, solid code, and especially, good materials. High quality filament can alleviate the most common problems of failed prints. We talk with Jack Warren of Toner Plastics in East Longmeadow, MA about what really makes good 3D Print filament, specifically PLA.
Download the WTFFF 026 Show Notes (PDF).
Check out what we learned from our discussion on what makes good 3D Print Filament with Jack Warren – COO of Toner Plastics.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- How tight controls in manufacturing filament is a necessity to good quality 3D Prints
- Ovality is a critical factor in keeping prints from failing
- Learn the basic process of producing filament and critical quality factors during the process for removing moisture
- How those nasty voids in poorly produced filament
- Toner Plastics produces 18 standard line colors and produces another 30+ for 3D Printer manufacturers directly.
- Explore the custom color process
- Why Toner Plastics has standardized on raw PLA pigments that is FDA or Toy Safe Complaint
- Why plastics experience matter when making a consumer & especially a prosumer friendly quality filament
- Plus Tom & Tracy’s 3D Print Tips and hard lessons learned from a lot of filament fails!
- Toner Plastics
- Toner Crafts & The Beadery
- S & E Specialty Polymers
- See Toner Plastics’ Material Safety Data Sheets – PLA Filament MSDS & ABS Filament MSDS
- Microcenter’s Toner Plastic Offering
- Our Instagram 3D Printing Filament Fails!
About Jack Warren | COO Toner Plastics
Jack Warren is the Chief Operating Officer of Toner Plastics and The Beadery. He joined Toner Plastics in 2013 and oversees all aspects of company operations including sales, manufacturing, engineering, and product development. Jack has 15 years of experience in engineering and manufacturing operations management, having successively taken on roles of increasing responsibility throughout his career. Most recently Jack was the Director of Global Engineering for STR Solar and is also a United States Marine Corps veteran. Jack holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a MS in Engineering Management from Western New England College, as well as a MBA from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Connect to Jack Warren through LinkedIn.
About Toner Plastics
Toner Plastics has been producing 3D Print Filament for the consumer market since 2012. They sell their high-quality filament under private label brand to some of the largest and best 3D Printer manufacturers. You can find more information on their website Toner-Plastics.com.
Listen | Download
Help Us Help You!
Have some feedback? Leave a comment below. We will read and respond
Please also review us on iTunes and share via the social media of your choice.
Have a question? Go to Ask Us Anything and leave us a online voice message. Yours might get answered in an upcoming WTFFF?! episode.
And to help us help you the most… Subscribe via iTunes or join our email update list.
Thanks also to Alexandra Hazzard & Jonatan Lind of JTL Films for all the media support amid your finals. Of course we expect to hear that you still pulled out all A’s!
Click here to download the Transcript for WTFFF 026 Show Notes (PDF).
- 3D Startpoint Facebook
- 3D Startpoint LinkedIn
- Hazz Design Twitter
- 3D Startpoint YouTube