Giving a little girl a new 3D Printed pink & purple prosthetic arm has to be one of the most admirable uses of a 3D Printer. But undervaluing design time by charging $50 raised a lot of questions for us about design, engineering and printing time. With the exception of such worthwhile charitable ventures, can you really charge enough to cover the design and fabrication time? Here’s what Mark Lengsfeld had to say… Download the WTFFF 006 Show Notes PDF.
Undervaluing design time and fabrication hours can be a slippery slope if you are 3D Printing for a living. But, if you are Mark Lengsfeld from Build It Workspace in Los Alamitos, a project like 3D Printing a prosthetic arm for a 7-year old girl might be completely worth it.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- Understanding the complexities of a prosthetic project
- Knowing when to get help with design models, expert assistance, print settings, etc.
- Realistic estimates of the hours to design, engineer and fabricate
- Views into the iterative nature of 3D Printing any design
- Considerations on when it is worth undervaluing design time
- Build It Workspace
- Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) – free file download
- Airwolf 3D
- Cal State Dominguez Hills Orthotics & Prosthetics
- NBC Nightly News segment on Faith Lennox
Listen | Download | View
Help Us Help You!
Have some feedback? Leave a comment below. We will read and respond
Please also review us on iTunes and share via the social media of your choice.
Have a question? Go to Ask Us Anything and leave us a online voice message. Yours might get answered in an upcoming WTFFF?! episode.
And to help us help you the most… Subscribe via iTunes or join our email update list.
Thanks to our guest, Mark Lengsfeld from Build It Workspace for sharing his experience (and Faith Lennox’s story) with us.
Thanks also to Jonatan Lind of JTL Films for all the video and audio support and for making us look and sound good! A special shout-out to our daughter Alexandra – without her all the little things like transcripts, proofing and links. We couldn’t do this without you both!
Click here to download the Transcript for WTFFF 006 Show Notes PDF.
- 3D Startpoint Facebook
- 3D Startpoint LinkedIn
- Hazz Design Twitter
- 3D Startpoint YouTube